Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Condensed

There's a distinctive warning sign in a parking lot close to Minnesota Center for Book Arts in Minneapolis.



It's one of the more extreme misuses of type squishing I've seen in a while. But I have to admit, it does read a little like poetry.



Do any of these adaptations improve on the original? The original has an aggressive charm to it, but the information is not a quick read.

But as I rework the design to get to something more functional, it starts to look like any other sign. Can I get any of the original charm back by using the original fonts? Maybe.



In the end I have to admit -- I would not take a picture of this sign.

3 comments:

Mark Simonson said...

I don't know, David. The original is terrible, but I think your reworded version looks kind of like it's no parking except for those businesses. Not sure what the solution is.

David Steinlicht said...

Mark, yeah -- Maybe if the "for" is bigger? I kinda felt like I didn't really come up with a great solution.

David Steinlicht said...

My friend Bob just emailed me with a completely different thought.

The point of the original sign is TO BE MISUNDERSTOOD. And in being misunderstood, the towing company makes some money. Very devious, Bob.

Bob also included a visual -- and aural -- aid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=389Rk1jzPMk