Friday, March 06, 2015

Vue project 1010

Thought the original cover was nice. It's using some white space -- which I always like. The addition of the paint brush struck me as not needed, but overall, the original cover works.

But I wanted to push it a little further. I know nothing about horses. But after some thought, I remembered the Edward Muybridge horse study photos. Found a set of those photos on the Internet, converted it to silhouette, and I had an instant herd of the beasts.

I was also inspired by this month's (March 2015) National Geographic cover story opening spread on science skeptics. 



Headlines this week are Bitstream's version of Antique Olive named Incised 901. Logo is made from Monotype Bell. I decided to do a unicase thing with the "E" letters just to mix it up a bit -- because, you may have noticed, Vue Weekly has a lot of "E"s. Those lower-case "E"s kinda start to look like eyes.




Although one of the main players in the story is named WHOAS (Wild Horses of Alberta Society), I decided to blunder ahead with "WHOA" as the main headline. It's short, it's punchy, it's horsey -- and I cannot resist a "Matrix" reference.

2 comments:

Mark Simonson said...

I don’t visit your blog for a few weeks (not much seemed to be happening), and suddenly there’s a bunch of new posts.

I like what you’re doing here. Although it feels a tiny bit like shooting fish in a barrel, given the mediocrity of some of these covers.

It’s amazing what a little competent design and art direction can do. Your alternate covers are so much better. These guys should hire you (except you’re retired, right?).

Is any one at Vue Weekly aware of your project?

David Steinlicht said...

Mark!

It's just a recent development. I've been mulling over the design of this newspaper for some months and I finally had to do something. Nothing productive, of course, just something. I do not think anyone at the Vue Weekly knows about this.

I just miss designing covers -- the way I did way, way back in the Twin Cities Reader days. So I'm scratching that itch.

My sincere and heartfelt apologies to Vue Weekly's designers and artists. I truly mean no offence.