Friday, April 03, 2009

Turner Classic Movie wallpapers -- the good ol' days

Way back in 2004, I discovered the Turner Classic Movies wallpaper download page. I was ecstatic. Four or five cool old stills per month. And they were presented, for the most part, without distraction. Most wallpapers were just a black-and-white publicity still surrounded by a black border. In the border was the advertising copy, the image was left untouched. Great stuff! Beautiful!

Occasionally there was a bit of type overlapping a picture, but usually the pictures were left alone.

These were great wallpapers.

Things change.
Current TCM wallaper designs showcase busybody designers churning out fake 1940s-style logo designs.

Every wallpaper has at least a fifth of its image area covered by a phony logo. It's very annoying. I think if they are going to cover some of the picture, they should at least use some actual lettering from the original posters or publicity materials.

These current designs make crappy wallpapers. They are just too busy.

Maybe TCM feels the pristine black-and-white photos are too stark. Maybe they like the fake-historic movie logos because they add a lot of color and activity to the black-and-white pictures.

But I think they are trying to guild the lily.

I wish TCM would stop trying to show the talents of their graphic designers. I want to appreciate the original stills and enjoy the talents of the original photographers and actors.

4 comments:

elena said...

I agree about leaving the stills alone: they're so gorgeous as is. Thanks. I really like your site and have posted a link at mine: http://elenabella.blogspot.com

The face-a-day feature is very cool!

David Steinlicht said...

Elena,

Thanks for the comments -- and the link!

I often think that the design of things in the world are changed, not because they need to change for clarity or beauty, but because the designers get bored and want to try something new.

And I say that as an easily-bored professional designer.

--David

Mark Simonson said...

David, you're right about that, and I'm glad you are or I would be out of business.

Anonymous said...

ok that's fine, i just added up many another emo backgrounds 2 my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info